Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My concerns prior to buying the 2014 LR Sport

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

My concerns prior to buying the 2014 LR Sport

Hi,

I am new to this particular forum but I have been on many other forums and I for one love the prestige and how Land Rovers look and feel. However, I have been performing extensive research for the past several months in preparation of looking into buying the said new 2014 Land Rover Sport. As mentioned before, I absolutely love the look, the feel, and the performance, however I can do a simple search on google and find many customer survey results that report Land Rover from the Tata Group having the lowest rating in terms of reliability. In addition, I have spoken to other owners and a lot of them are 50/50 on the subject, you either love or hate them with the common quote they spend most of their time in the repair shop and/or you better off buying two and using one as a spare parts vehicle. Please do not get me wrong I am not here to bash the Land Rover name, I am searching for the truth behind these claims and comments made by others and perhaps these surveys are false in reporting accurate data.

For example:
    I simply search "are land rovers reliable" and this is what came up on google

1. Top five most reliable and least reliable cars | This is Money "Land Rover is the least reliable overall manufacturer"
    2. Cars more dependable than ever, Lexus tops the chart while Land Rover is least reliable - NY Daily News "Cars more dependable than ever, Lexus tops the chart while Land Rover is least reliable"
    3. Land Rover ranked as least reliable auto manufacturer. - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum
    4. 2013's The Good 12 - Land Rover Range Rover - $80,000-$90,000 - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

I commonly see the same comments on different Land Rover forums stating that proper maintenance is required in ownership of said vehicles.
    - Oil Change
    - Tire pressure/rotation
    - Regular 60k, 90k, 120k tuneups? This should also include transmission servicing as well.

Other then the aforementioned which is basic auto maintenance for many cars low end and high end, I do not see how so many owners are "neglecting" their cars by not performing 'proper maintenance" Are these surveys and claims unjustified and only come from owners that neglect their cars and improperly service them? I consider myself a pretty fair person and do not pass judgement until all the evidence is gathered and reviewed by my own eyes. But I do not believe that every claim or statement are from those that know nothing about cars. In fact many of them are mechanics, engineers, and are in the auto service industry that are stating these claims surfing from forum to forum. I am not here to cry or to place blame, I am here to seek the truth which may not exist as this is a car from what i have read, researched, and heard. Yes, I understand many cars have their own set of problems but I DO NOT see them at the bottom of the rankings regardless of the problems they have.

Take for an example, I have many personal friends whom I grew up with that work on and service Lexus/Toyota, Infiniti/Nissan, BMW and Porsche they have been in the industry for over 20 years. They know all the problems that the cars/suvs/hybrids have yet. They do not rank as the least reliable car they still end up ranking the top or the middle but never the bottom. Are they just better at covering up these issues when these surveys come around? Another example from a well known market research company 2013 Land Rover Range Rover Base SUV Ratings, Prices, Trims, Summary | J.D. Power reliability ranking is 2 out of 5 start for the 2013 model. I do not see how these corporate companies are coming back and reporting to the consumers with inaccurate data.

I have only seen one claim in 2013 that Land Rover has "resolved their reliability issue." Reliability meaning purchasing a car brand new and not having something break shortly after driving off the lot. I have bought both new and used cars and I know what to expect and I am conscience of what should be and should not be breaking after driving away with the car I had just purchased. Quoted "http://teamspeed.com/forums/bentley-rolls-royce-land-rover/72429-land-rover-weve-solved-our-reliability-issues.html" I myself work in the aviation and servicing industry Boeing, Northup Gruman, and Raytheon over the past decade and in our industry preventative maintenance is key. i do not see established preventative tables and cycles for LR that is published to their consumers for a properly operating vehicle that would increase it's reliability. After reading the article off teamspeed.com do you really feel that 8000 miles of testing compared to what other automakers can do is considered resolving?

You are welcome to chime in and educate me in this subject matter and share your experiences. Please keep it professional and state facts, I am not here for false or inaccurate data. I love LR's I just wish they had a better reputation.
    dr_ashk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Welcome to the forum tekrus05! I'm pretty much in the same boat. I think you have to take those complaints with a grain of salt. You are always going to find more reviews that are negative then positive It's just the nature of the internet. Most people don't post when they are completely satisfied with a product, only if they have problems.

With that said, I've heard and read many problems with past Range Rovers. In fact, that is something that has kept me from buying one. Last time I was really considering to purchase a RRS I decided to go with a Lexus ISF instead.

Now with the introduction of the Range Rover Evoque, I think things are really turning around and their reputation is really improving. I believe they are really stepping up their game with quality and innovation. Only time will tell if the new model turns out to be bullet proof. Like all new models I'm sure it will have a few issues here or there. That's just part of the fun owning a new model vehicle!

Either way, please keep us in the loop on what you decide. I'm hoping any day I get a call from the local Land Rover dealership letting me know the 2014s have arrived and I can take one out for a spin.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you rrDan, yes I am definitely hoping that they are taking a step in the right direction. I love the L/R Sport, it has always been very appealing to me. However, it's the poor reputation that surrounds them that I have always been afraid of.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRoverSport.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the same concerns, same research. Wanted to own it for at least a 100k miles. I am very concerned about the reliability issues, but my thinking going into this... to see if I can break it down my process that I convinced myself and eventually ordered one, due Dec (can't wait).

1. JD powers survey are 3 years old, so current surveys should be indicating 2010 data points.
    2. I heard nothing but good things on the 2013 FFRR, which is completely new.
    3. The earliest we'll get JD Powers reliability for the 2013 FFRR is 2015/16 (since the MY13 was available in CY12?), which I'm hoping changes the reliability baggage for Tata owned JLR.
    4. Completely new car, hopefully that means better reliability (sometimes this can be wishful thinking).
    5. I've owned Germans, Japanese brands. Suprisingly my Audi is more reliable than my Acura, go figure.
    6. Hey, at least I can have a Jaguar or Aston Martin loaner when the RRS is in the shop. (my dealer also sells Aston Martins, McLarens)

-ThinkMac-

Quote Originally Posted by tekrus05 View Post
    Hi,

I am new to this particular forum but I have been on many other forums and I for one love the prestige and how Land Rovers look and feel. However, I have been performing extensive research for the past several months in preparation of looking into buying the said new 2014 Land Rover Sport. As mentioned before, I absolutely love the look, the feel, and the performance, however I can do a simple search on google and find many customer survey results that report Land Rover from the Tata Group having the lowest rating in terms of reliability. In addition, I have spoken to other owners and a lot of them are 50/50 on the subject, you either love or hate them with the common quote they spend most of their time in the repair shop and/or you better off buying two and using one as a spare parts vehicle. Please do not get me wrong I am not here to bash the Land Rover name, I am searching for the truth behind these claims and comments made by others and perhaps these surveys are false in reporting accurate data.

For example:
    I simply search "are land rovers reliable" and this is what came up on google

1. Top five most reliable and least reliable cars | This is Money "Land Rover is the least reliable overall manufacturer"
    2. Cars more dependable than ever, Lexus tops the chart while Land Rover is least reliable - NY Daily News "Cars more dependable than ever, Lexus tops the chart while Land Rover is least reliable"
    3. Land Rover ranked as least reliable auto manufacturer. - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum
    4. 2013's The Good 12 - Land Rover Range Rover - $80,000-$90,000 - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

I commonly see the same comments on different Land Rover forums stating that proper maintenance is required in ownership of said vehicles.
    - Oil Change
    - Tire pressure/rotation
    - Regular 60k, 90k, 120k tuneups? This should also include transmission servicing as well.

Other then the aforementioned which is basic auto maintenance for many cars low end and high end, I do not see how so many owners are "neglecting" their cars by not performing 'proper maintenance" Are these surveys and claims unjustified and only come from owners that neglect their cars and improperly service them? I consider myself a pretty fair person and do not pass judgement until all the evidence is gathered and reviewed by my own eyes. But I do not believe that every claim or statement are from those that know nothing about cars. In fact many of them are mechanics, engineers, and are in the auto service industry that are stating these claims surfing from forum to forum. I am not here to cry or to place blame, I am here to seek the truth which may not exist as this is a car from what i have read, researched, and heard. Yes, I understand many cars have their own set of problems but I DO NOT see them at the bottom of the rankings regardless of the problems they have.

Take for an example, I have many personal friends whom I grew up with that work on and service Lexus/Toyota, Infiniti/Nissan, BMW and Porsche they have been in the industry for over 20 years. They know all the problems that the cars/suvs/hybrids have yet. They do not rank as the least reliable car they still end up ranking the top or the middle but never the bottom. Are they just better at covering up these issues when these surveys come around? Another example from a well known market research company 2013 Land Rover Range Rover Base SUV Ratings, Prices, Trims, Summary | J.D. Power reliability ranking is 2 out of 5 start for the 2013 model. I do not see how these corporate companies are coming back and reporting to the consumers with inaccurate data.

I have only seen one claim in 2013 that Land Rover has "resolved their reliability issue." Reliability meaning purchasing a car brand new and not having something break shortly after driving off the lot. I have bought both new and used cars and I know what to expect and I am conscience of what should be and should not be breaking after driving away with the car I had just purchased. Quoted "http://teamspeed.com/forums/bentley-rolls-royce-land-rover/72429-land-rover-weve-solved-our-reliability-issues.html" I myself work in the aviation and servicing industry Boeing, Northup Gruman, and Raytheon over the past decade and in our industry preventative maintenance is key. i do not see established preventative tables and cycles for LR that is published to their consumers for a properly operating vehicle that would increase it's reliability. After reading the article off teamspeed.com do you really feel that 8000 miles of testing compared to what other automakers can do is considered resolving?

You are welcome to chime in and educate me in this subject matter and share your experiences. Please keep it professional and state facts, I am not here for false or inaccurate data. I love LR's I just wish they had a better reputation.
    dr_ashk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Got to see my first RRS in the flesh. Blue with ivory/ebony interior - left hand drive - very nice indeed. I guess I am more concerned about offroad capability than most so here is a list of my issues.

Offroad / Technical things that concern me;

1. Front mounted intercoolers do not have any protection from stones and the scoop puts these at risk of damage. The solution will be to fit mesh protectors in front of the intakes - not sure how yet.

2. Fuel tank capacity SDV6 - looked for a place for an auxillary tank - looks a bit hard so may have to get a 105L tank specially imported and replace the standard 77L . Apparently the TDV8 RRS will have the higher capacity tank so clearly it should fit. The question is is that practical/possible or do I get one specially made here. Cost is an issue as well.

3. Sills - sill protectors will be a must have given the doors and bottom sills

4. Second Battery - no place under the bonnet for a second battery. I will need to look for an alternative mounting solution - perhaps in the spare wheel well - but could not get into that to see if there is enough room.

5. Wheel and tyre combo - far from ideal - need to measure the rotors to see if 18" bespoke wheels will fit. 20" offroad tryes are available so may end up with that instead - Nitto All Terrains are available in LT spec so may have to source those.

6. Offroad light mounts. Hard to assess how to mount my offroad lights. Solution for the lights I have come up with is roof rack mounted lights so that no lights are attached to the front of the car and put the roof rack on only when heading off road on a trip. So roof rails are also essential.

7. Frontal Protection - this is a real challenge! Having seen the damage a kangaroo or emu can do to the front of a car first hand I will have to come up with something here. RR have in the past had various front protection bars for the RR and RRS but I have not seen anything about this at this stage. Needs to be subtle enough not to detract from the great lines of the vehicle and strong enough to give protection to the front radiator etc. Did see one concealed winch on a RRS which would be ideal but that will be a while away I think, if ever. The front chassis rails look ideal to put a concealed winch beam across. and mount the winch to that.

Now the good bits - design and finish look top class. Driving will be the clincher. It will need to be exceptional to compensate for the technical offroad issues that concern me and may cost quite a lot to solve. Looking forward to getting behind the wheel and experiencing it first hand.

If you know of any solutions to my technical concerns - let me know. Perhaps Landrover has thought of some of these issues - if not they really should have!

Cheers
    Ozsport
    dr_ashk likes this.

Member #
    Im in exactly the same place. Love the car. Scared about its reliabili
    ty. Worse yet, cannot find any dealer in my area that does not get completely terrible service reviews (LA-Pasedana). Id be very interested to know if Tekrus05 has made any further progress?

Funny, seems to be a great car with a consistently terrible reliability and service. Anybody in my geo area have any thoughts?
    thanks

Member #
    Its a sad fact that the Range Rover has been the best luxury off roader since it first came out, and ever since it has been plagued by quality issues.
    I work in in the car industry. I admire Range Rovers. I would never own one again.
    Having sold most brands of prestige cars. However, I only sell Japanese brands now.
    Range Rover have had their BL masters, then B Aero and then BMW, then Ford now Tata. The Indians cant make their own cars good. They wont have miraculously fixed RR. I feel sorry for the customers. A close friend of mine works in a RR service department and within a short period of taking delivery she meets all the customers having problems. It was the same 10 years ago, the same five year ago, she says it is the same or worse now.
    Buy RR because it is handsome, buy because it is lovely to drive. Don't buy it expecting anything other than heartache.
    I just wish Landrover had been bought by Toyota. Can you imagine a RR with Lexus quality?
    Last edited by RickAnasta; 02-09-2014 at 12:55 AM.

Member #
    A further thought on this matter, while punters keep buying the factory has no reason to improve quality. They sell all they can make so all they need is good marketing and handsome designs and the masses keep filling the coffers. Why invest in boring quality when it wornt make you more money? Just keep fleecing the public, they are lining up to be shawn. If you were in senior management and had to take the company on a cultural journey like the Japanese and invest in people and invest mega dollars in capital for state of the art facilities, or keep making pretty cars that break down they easy decision is the latter. That is why the leopard won't change it spots. It's easier and more profitable to do what they are doing.

Member #
    I share Tekrus05's concerns and hopes. It seems strange that Land Rover languish near the bottom of reliability surveys while their partner Jaguar is near the top. The claim that Land Rover's failures are now in the past and newer models are reliable has been made repeatedly since the 1990s. I was dismayed when such problems persisted with the Mk 3 Range Rover, the Range Rover Sport and the Mk 3 Discovery, all superbly designed vehicles. How can a company design vehicles so well but make them so badly?

An American magazine drove a current Rover Rover, Mercedes GL and Toyota Landcruiser across part of the Australian outback, once almost exclusively Land Rover territory. All three made it but the GL developed a suspension clonk and the Range Rover broke both its rear dampers. Only the Landcruiser had no problems. Hence the continued popularity of the Landcruiser, a triumph of construction over design, superbly made but twenty years behind Land Rover in design. The Toyota it has yet to match the Mk 2 (38A) Range Rover's design, not to mention today's Range Rovers and Discovery.

I do hope my concerns prove unfounded.

Member #
    It may be a moot point now, Ozport, but I believe 19 inches is the smallest standard wheel diameter on the new RRS. I remember when the 18 inch optional wheels on the Mk 2 (38A) Range Rover were considered unsuitable for offroad use by many! Nonetheless both the RR and RRS now share a larger (31 inch) overall wheel/tyre diameter, so 20 inch wheels still have 5.5 inches of sidewall depth under them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Search tags for this page

2014 range rover sport issues
2014 range rover sport problems
land rover problems forum
range rover reliability 2014
range rover sport 2014 problems
range rover sport 2014 reliability

range rover sport reliability

range rover sport reliability issues
Click on a term to search for related topics.