Does anyone else think the RRS is too "Diva" for off road?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RedBall

Thread: Does anyone else think the RRS is too "Diva" for off road?

Member #

Does anyone else think the RRS is too "Diva" for off road?

I do,

But first let me just say that I LOVE my RRS... I love everything about it except for it's thirst. To me it has a personality and it's very picky about how to handle her before she does what you want. I find that in order to drive this type of vehicle correctly and with agility you have to relearn a new way of playing with the throttle to get it in the right gear at the right time. This of course is in Drive mode, Sport is an entirely new animal but back to the subject...

When I first got my RRS I was eager to take it off road and could not wait to get it all dirty and caked with mud... Until I finally did. Although I had a lot of fun, I paid the price dearly. 2 touchless car washes, 3 hand washes and finally a quick coat of wax along with an interior cleaning and it was back to it's original condition. To me it was a lot of work but that's besides the point. I've read that these cars although very well equipped to handle any off road condition any jeep can, they are victim to accelerated wear and tear to a greater extent than a Jeep. Also, the parts and labor are much more expensive. Almost every time I see a video of a Range Rover Sport "off-roading" it's usually in a very dry and rocky environment. Not a lot of muddy water to seep into the little nooks and crannies of the under carriage and I agree, if I lived in that type of environment I'd gladly take it off roading, but I don't. I live near deep mud trails that I would say are better suited to a Jeep than an RRS S/C. I know it can handle the conditions but when I see it all shiny and clean I just can't bear to do it lol. Then there is the power of that 5 litre Supercharged engine and how it handles when you have it in Sport with suspension set to dynamic. This thing is definitely made for speed and not for off roading. And besides, up here in Canada we push these cars through tons of deep muddy, slushy and SALTY snow 6 months out of the year.... That's plenty off roading for me

Member #
    You know, I also believe, that RRS can handle mud and all sorts of off-roading stuff. Yet, I also believe, that RRS is just not intended to go off-road. IMHO there are many other trucks, like Jeeps, which are made for off-road, while RRS is rather for good quality city drive.
    As for me, I've never taken it to muds. Though when I had my old good F-150 4by4, it was all the way dirty b/c of off-roading every 2 weeks.

Member #
    New to the forum, and new to the RRS, just picked it up yesterday. For the most part we will be using ours “on road” but it’s nice to know that if needed the RRS can get it’s hands dirty.
    In SC there are many poor condition rural roads that will be fun to explore with this vehicle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    RangeRoverSport.org
    Advertisements

Member #
    Im new here. : ) I "use" my 08 RRSS off road often, we love a good adventure, It has the extended bar kit, and off road tires. I goes everywhere trail jeeps go, in comfort and style : ) I also have a very rural cabin in Montana, both my rovers take me their year round, with zero problems. : )
    Name:  20161023_181440.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  3.66 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    OmarHaltam likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBall View Post
    Im new here. : ) I "use" my 08 RRSS off road often, we love a good adventure, It has the extended bar kit, and off road tires. I goes everywhere trail jeeps go, in comfort and style : ) I also have a very rural cabin in Montana, both my rovers take me their year round, with zero problems. : )
    Name:  20161023_181440.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  3.66 MB
    good for you .... thumbs up from me
    one day soon i want to get a 2012 or 2013
    and take it off road on occasion

Member #
    great photos!