Tow Setup for 2011 Range Rover Sport SC
    Member #

Tow Setup for 2011 Range Rover Sport SC

New to the forum, I have a 2011 RR Sport SC which i purchased used with 89000 miles. I purchased the Sport instead of an LR4 because the LR4 is difficult to find locally and the RR Sport is built on the same platform. Honestly the LR4 is better outfitted for offroad adventures, but I can live with my choice. Both vehicles have approximately a 7200 towing capacity.

After doing research on tow setups for this vehicle I went with the following, because it's rated at 6000 pounds towing capacity and 600 pound tongue weight without a weight distribution hitch and 800 pound tongue weight with 8000 pounds towing capacity with a weight distribution hitch. I went this route because the factory Land Rover tow receiver hitch that is available is not rated for these capacities, and as per other posts has a tendency to fall out of its mount.
    (the LR tow hitch that inserts into the mount on the truck is perfect if you want to use a Thule, Yakiima or other bike rack with 2" receiver mount, but lets face it, it isn't going to safely tow a 6000 pound twin axel travel trailer!

Here is what works:
    Curt Class 3 tow bar (part no 13456) is frame mounted and about $160.00 on Amazon, and shipped for free with prime memberships. (There are limited choices for the 2011 RR Sport, i think Reese makes a towbar for this model year, as well)
    Although, the Curt representative said that adding a tow bar means that if you have a full size 20" spare tire, you can't remount it to the vehicle because of the overhang from the hitch. Mine has a 19" spare so I lucked out and could remount the spare under the vehicle successfully.

Next it's necessary to install a full tow harness: landrover Part VPLST0016 about $225.00 purchased of Ebay and installed by local RR dealer for 2 hours labor cost.
    Installing a Electronic Brake controller was also needed. There are an number of electronic brake controllers available, but I choose a Tekonsha P3 which included a plug and play harness (Tekonsha part no 3035-P) Both the controller and harness were about $125.00. Easy install, the plug for the brake control is built in to the Range Rover and is located under the steering wheel. Removing the access panel exposes the plug. Just plug it in and mount the controller.

I had the RR dealer install the tow harness harness because i wanted it done right, (the British Atlantic install video for this harness covers installation for model years 2006-2009), so $250 for the installation was money well spent. Taking it to the dealer was also necessary because there is a Tow Setting that has to be updated in the vehicle's computer.

With the above setup I will be towing a 30 ft Mckenzie Starlite, with a weight distribution hitch, weighing in at between 5000 and 6000 pounds.
    Last edited by burque1011; 06-29-2016 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spell check

Search tags for this page

2011 range rover sport towing forum

weight distribution hitch with range rover sport rrs

Click on a term to search for related topics.